MOMENT OF THE YEAR: GOAT GIRL'S EMERGENCE


I remember it vividly, a cold Baltic night in Newcastle watching Alan Patridge with a friend over a cup of tea. An episode ends and the conversation turns to music as she tells me there's a video that I "have" to see. I'm disinterested at first, thinking it can't be that great. But then the bustling rushing riff of 'The Man' invades my ears whilst on the screen, the four members of Goat Girl reenact Beatlemania with their own Femme Fatale twist. The retro, vintage feel of the clip matches the tone of the song and instantly, my love affair with Goat Girl begin. A couple of months later their debut album arrived, a short-sharp burst, 40 minutes, 19 songs, no nonsense, not a second wasted. It flows effortlessly with songs transitioning into one another with ease. A country blues feel submerged in darkness, the mood and tone set by the music matches the messages Goat Girl convey as they subtlety (or rather blatantly on some occasions) critique the society we live in. The two live shows I managed to witness only extended my love further. Cool, calm and collected, Goat Girl are nonchalant on stage, the extra layers of violins heaping yet more mystery and creepiness onto the already sleazy sounds. 2018 has been a breakthrough year for them, and 2019 should only see them cement their status as one of Britain's best further.

Comments